I’m working on Thursday, which is my re-imagining of Chesterton’s The Man Who Was Thursday, and it strikes me that my goal when I started–to write a swashbuckling thriller that basically just copies Chesterton and paints on a new setting and updates the prose–seemed quite simple. I was hoping to get the book done in a month. But I just can’t seem to do that. The setting kept changing, and the more I looked at updating the book, the more I realized how formidable the job would be.
It turns out I needed to not just update the prose, but I had to change scenes, delete scenes, add scenes, and rework the nature of some of the characters. However, the biggest challenge has been taking the old style of lots of philosophical exposition and turning it into in-scene action.
In short, this project turned from a fun and short side project into an involved and lengthy one. I’m quite proud of it. It very much captures the spirit of Chesterton’s original, while being a pretty engaging and fun cyberpunk thriller. I can’t wait to share it with you.